The Leaf Food Factory (Photosynthesis)
Click below to download and print this experiment card:
About This Experiment
In this experiment, you will find out what color chlorophyll is by extracting it from leaves.
- Chlorophyll is a pigment in leaves that helps with photosynthesis.
- What color are most leaves? Are all leaves that color?
- What color do you think chlorophyll is?
- 2-3 spinach leaves
- Glass bowl with lid (or plastic wrap)
- Plastic gloves
- Rubbing alcohol
This experiment should be performed by an adult. Rubbing alcohol and rubbing alcohol vapor can cause irritation to eyes, skin, nose, and throat. Rubbing alcohol can also be toxic if ingested. Perform this experiment in a well-ventilated area wearing safety goggles and gloves. Instruct all spectators to wear safety goggles as well.
- Put spinach leaves in the bowl.
- Cover the spinach leaves with rubbing alcohol.
- Put a lid on the bowl or cover it with plastic wrap.
- Leave the bowl for one day.
- Remove the spinach leaves and observe.
Questions & Further Research
- Did you observe any changes after 1 day?
- What color is chlorophyll?
- What do you think a leaf needs in order to make chlorophyll?