The First Great Lesson
Approximate time to complete: 5-10 minutes + questions and journal time
Click below to download and print this experiment card:
When the Universe was forming, there were particles moving everywhere. The force of the Universe brought some of the particles together, and kept some of them apart. I wonder what will happen if I drop these moving particles down into the water below.
- Large Bowl
- Confetti or Small Pieces of Paper
- Fill ¾ of the bowl with water.
- Pick up a small handful of paper bits.
- Slowly sprinkle pieces of paper into the bowl.
- Observe what happens.
Questions & Further Research
- Were the pieces of paper attracted to each other, or did they repel each other? Or neither? Or both?
- How did the paper move in the water with no outside force (touching, blowing)?
- How does this experiment relate to the story of how the Universe came to be?